Avon Lake was designated a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation.
European seamen first settled this place in the year 1812, and was originally part of the Avon Township, and also part of Cuyahoga County. Then in 1822, it became part of Lorain County. Then, in 1915, this part of Avon was separated from the rest of the Township of Avon to form the Township of Avon Lake. In 1960, Avon Lake was granted the status of a city.
- Sandy Alomar Jr. first base coach and former catcher (Cleveland Indians)
- Tom Hamilton Radio Broadcaster for the Cleveland Indians.
- Jock Callander Hockey Player (1978–2000) for the Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL), Cleveland Lumberjacks (IHL), and other professional hockey teams.
- Anthony Gonzalez, wide receiver for the Indianapolis Colts
- Travis Hafner, designated hitter for the New York Yankees
- Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, former center for the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Matt Ouimet, CEO of the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company