- Ticks are more closely related to spiders and scorpions than insects.
- Ticks get onto pets and people by jumping.
- There are two main types of ticks: hard and soft.
- Hard ticks are found in the woods.
- Soft ticks have tough, leathery skin. They can be found in caves, cabins and on birds.
There are about 200 species in the United States. Ticks live in tall grass or shrubs. They do not jump or fly, although they may drop from their perch and fall onto a host. Some species of ticks actually follow a host by foot until they can climb aboard!
Ticks can live as long as 200 days without food or water and they can live from 2 months to 2 years, depending on the species.
( courtesy of pestworldforkids.com)